Hello neighbors, I’m Michael Lockett and have been a proud South Nyack resident for more than 10 years. My wife, Michelle, and I picked this area to build our family because of its diversity, openness and quality schools. You have not let us down.
On weekdays, you’ll see me around town dropping off or picking up our 4-year- old son at the Montessori Center of Nyack. I work as a visual designer and filmmaker by day and play an assistant soccer coach on weekends. As a founding member of Rockland United, I have dedicated my time and talents to promoting an inclusive and just community for everyone in our community, county, state and country.
It is with both honor and humility that I am running for one of the three open seats on the Nyack School District Board. I want our school district full of amazing students, teachers and administrators to be the benchmark of an equitable public education for the entire state.
My overarching goals are to:
• Make sure each and every student regardless of race, economics or disability have an inclusive nurturing environment that fosters their success both academically and in life.
• Create a district that upholds high educational standards for students and gives all students the means to achieve them
• Make the outreach and relationship between the district and the community stronger and more vibrant
• Provide an open and transparent system that allows both parents and non-parent tax payers a means to quickly and efficiently have their voices heard and their issues resolved
• Increase and/or strengthen programs and services designed to help families and students in need
COMMUNITY TOWN HALL
I want to hear from you. I believe the school board members must represent all the families and taxpayers of our community. Please join me on May 10th at 7:30 pm for a town hall meeting at Valley Cottage Library. Your concerns and/or hopes candidly expressed are what I want to understand and then bring directly to the board .
If you are unavailable, please reach out via email. I’d be happy to arrange a time to meet or chat at your convenience.
Together our children and community can thrive. We owe them nothing less.
JOINT CANDIDATE FORUMS
I will also be attending two public candidate forums:
- May 3rd: Nyack NAACP, held at the Nyack Center
- May 9th: Nyack PTA, held at the high school auditorium
ELECTION DAY IS MAY 16
Text the word NYACKSB to 84483, and you will join a text message reminder service about the election. Service offered by RainedOut.net. Standard messaging rates apply.
The poling places and hours of operation for this year’s elections are as follows:
POLLS OPEN: 7:00 AM - 9:00 PM
1. Depew Manor
2. Hilltop Building
3. Valley Cottage Elementary School
4. Upper Nyack Elementary School
Any confusion? Find your polling place here or call the District Clerk's office at 845-353-7000.
To vote, a person must be:
• a citizen of the United States;
• a resident of the School District for at least 30 days;
• 18 years of age or older;
• personally registered for registered for General Elections within Rockland County.
If you have not voted in the past four years, please register by April 30. You can download a Rockland County voter registration form here .
Not sure if you're already registered? Call the Board of Elections at 845-638- 5172.
If you will not be in Rockland County during the hours the polls are open, you may vote by absentee ballot. The first step is to complete and submit an application for an absentee ballot. You may download the application here.
CAN YOU HELP?
Can you help me get the word out?
May 16th is quickly approaching and I’d love to have your support in getting the word out about the election. Here are some ways you can help:
• Like my Facebook page and share it with your friends
• Attend my town hall discussion on May 10th and invite your friends
• Post a lawn sign in your yard
• Give out informational cards at your events
• Join me in knocking on doors on the weekends leading up to the election.
WE'VE ONLY JUST BEGIN
The work of pushing for a nurturing environment for our kids to grow and flourish within began long before this campaign the 2016 national elections and even before we moved to Nyack. It began with the choices my parents and those of my wife made to make their communities better for us as children. Win or lose I will work to make this place all it can be for my child and your's.
I want to hear from you. Your hopes for and concerns about this school district are at the heart of my campaign. If you are unable to attend any of the events please take a few moments to contact me.